Monday 11 May 2015

Review: Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer Estep

Title: Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1)
Author: Jennifer Estep
Published: 28 April 2015 
Source: Kensington - Teen via Netgalley in return for an honest review
Reviewed: Sapphired Dragon
Rating: *** 3/4

My Review:
What a fun new series from Jennifer Estep!

Having been a fan of Ms Estep's Mythos Academy series and being a big urban fantasy girl, the minute I saw this, I knew it would be right up my alley. And indeed it does tick many of the right boxes; Monsters, magic, swords, evil plots and good looking boys and a smart young heroine used to doing it on her own.

From the beginning I found myself liking main character Lila Merriweather and Ms Estep's conversational style of writing quickly made me feel comfortable with and like I was friends with Lila and therefore immediately I was invested in her story.

I liked the mix of urban and fantasy in the town this story is set in and the idea of this town where regular mortals could come and see real magic and creatures of fable. I also found to concept of mob type families running the town quite interesting and look forward to learning more about them as the series continues, i particular the black blades mentioned in the series title.

Overall, the story is quite fast paced and there is no real lag in the story. It flows from beginning to end. I found it quite a quick,fast enjoyable read in which I was invested till the end and fully intend to continue on with the series.

A great start to a new series. I give this story 3 & 3/4 stars.

Sapphired Dragon xx



About The Book:

Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade #1) by Jennifer Estep





There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . .

1 comment:

  1. If you’re like me and haven’t yet read anything by Jennifer Estep, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this book. Since it’s the first book in a new series, you’ll be fully immersed in the world in no time.

    Mica
    Visit my site for Seattle Senior Housing

    ReplyDelete