Tuesday 26 May 2015

#ArmchairBEA 2015 Day One: Introductions and Library Love


Hi everyone!

I am so excited to be taking part in Armchair BEA this year and can't believe its here already. It's been a couple of years  since I last participated so I was planning to be all organised this year but time has gotten away from me so we will see how we go.

Today's day 1 topics are introductions and Library Love. I really do love my local library. My three year old and I are there at least once a week picking up books for one or both of us.  Unfortunately my local librarians declined to be interviewed which was a shame but I still love my library and will talk a little more about it further down the page but first I get to talk more about me :-)


Tell us a bit about yourself: How long have you been blogging? Where are you from? How did you get into blogging?

My name is Nikk, I am from Sydney, Australia and I have been blogging for just 4 years now. I actually got the idea to start a blog after attending a lecture at the Australian Fitness expo in 2011. The person giving the lecture (which was mainly attended by personal trainers) was about increasing the fitness profile by blogging about fitness and how to get started. Now whilst I knew I couldn't blog knowledgeably about fitness, and with my love of writing, the idea of starting a blog really appealed to me and what better to blog about than the thing I spend the majority of my spare time doing or talking about: Reading. It has taken me a while to get myself established and even now, there are times when real life makes it hard but I still love it and really want to grow my blog further.



This is a picture of me meeting the lovely Rachel Vincent. One of the authors, whose books I love to read.



Why do you love reading and blogging?

I have always been a reader. For as long as I can remember. There is nothing like getting yourself lost in a book and taken away from reality for a while. In some ways, I liken reading to meditation, at least for me. It relaxes me and takes me to that zen place. When you you turn the last page of a good book and then close it, it can be like waking up from a dream and sometimes it might take you a minute or two to get your bearings again and for a little while after that you mind may linger in the world of the book as you mull over the events and story that took place. This is why i love reading.

With blogging I get to write about what I am reading. Share my thoughts without worrying whether the person I am talking to actually cares that i am distraught as the main characters soul mate has taken from her in a series of tragic coincidences or that she has battled 5 monsters, challenged two gods and overcome 101 hurdles to get them back.
I also get to participate in a community with other people who share my love of reading and whether it be gushing about our latest read or titles received or impatiently awaiting the next book in our favourite series, its nice to have other people I can talk books too and get recommendations for new reads.
Lastly love being able to give my those books I love and the authors that wrote them a little bit more recognition and promote them by giving them honest reviews be they good or better. I don't generally write reviews for books I consider less than 3 stars.



What is your favorite genre and why?


I am a bit of mixed bag when it comes to favourite genre. Generally when answering off the top of my head, I will tell you Urban fantasy because I enjoy reading books about magic or fantasy stories with a more urban real life setting however my mood often decides the genre I will read and I also go through phases of reading everything i can get my hand on in just one type of genre before growing bored or having an entirely different genre spark my interest.


Generally most genres I read run along a similar vein so other genres like paranormal, paranormal romance, romantic contemporary and high fantasy are my life blood with my reading predominantly being in the YA/NA territory though I will read adult novels and the occasional historical fiction also if the story takes my fancy.


For me reading is an escape from the real world so the genres I read tend to reflect that.This picture is a typical library haul with its mixture of YA,NA and adult



What book are you reading right now?

I am currently reading Nowhere but Here (Thunder Road #1) by Katie McGarry and really enjoying it. Hoping to get my review up for it this week.


What is the top book in your TBR pile?

The book that is at the top of my TBR pile is Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch. I have received the second book in the series to review so am reading this one first. Here is a picture of it with the next two books on my TBR list

Library Love


As I mentioned above,  I love my library!  I have been a member there now for 5 years and my daughter and I make weekly trips to one of its branches to pick up books to read.
As well as being a very well stocked library with many of the latest reads available to be borrowed, they also do awesome thing in the community as well as have the occasional book event also such as hosting a signing event for author Lauren Kate, author of Fallen and Teardrop series, whilst she was visiting Australia.
They also run Baby Rhyme time for 0-2 year olds and story time for 2-4 year olds.  This was a godsend for me when my daughter was a baby.  It was a way for me to get out of the house, get new reading material, meet other mothers with young children and Buffy loved the singing and intro to books.  My daughter already loves reading and its an important part of our night time routine and this Baby rhyme time was the perfect way to introduce her.

They also do cool promotions like Mystery date books on Valentines Day where you would pick up a wrapped book as your mystery date and have no idea what it was until you got home and unwrapped it.  Unfortunately the date I randomly chose was not really up my alley but I still thought the idea was cool and when Leonard Nemoy passed away earlier they put up a star trek display in his honour.



Lastly they do a whole lot of other awesome stuff for the community like tutoring and study programs for chool age children, they have a justice of the peace come in once a week and regular groups for all sorts of other book, film or community related things.
My library forms an integral part of my community and I want to say thank you for the job they do.
As mentioned, the librarians at my library declined to be interview for this post but I would love to hear from other librarians and library assistants around the world for a follow up post in a week or two.
If you can spare the time, please pop across to my interview page here and answer a few questions.  Don't forget to let me know what country you are from as it would be great to compare and contrast libraries in diferent states and countries and find out more about them.

Hope you enjoyed my day one post and I can't wait to go check out everyone else's posts! don't be afraid to let me know you been by :-)



13 comments:

  1. I have a copy of Nowhere But Here I need to read!

    Love that photo of Confess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great photo of your baby with a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures. The with the books outside is inspiring me to do my #TBRrainbow pic outside today. I did mow the lawn this weekend! Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a former children's librarian, and my daughter and I also love baby story time! I definitely agree that it is a key motivator in getting new moms out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy aBEA! Love all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back when I was in high school the library had a blind date with a book event for Valentines Day. It was how I discovered Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Such a brilliant concept!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that your daughter is loving reading. Also, your library sounds awesome.

    Hope you have a wonderful time during ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel Vincent is awesome, you're lucky to have met her. Great meeting you! Happy ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We visit our local library several times a week also. I am an eclectic reader also! I enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's cool that your library is able to host such authors! Snow Like Ashes is on my TBR pile too, I hope you enjoy it!

    Leeanna.me: Armchair BEA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Rachel Vincent! Your library sounds really great! Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Rachel Vincent! Your library sounds really great! Have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your library sounds fantastic! I really love the Valentine's mystery book date idea - sounds a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete