Wednesday 18 February 2015

Review: Haunted (The Arnaud Legacy #1) by Lynn Carthage

Title: Haunted (The Arnaud Legacy #1)
Author: Lynn Carthage
Published: 24 February 2015
Source: Kensington Books via Netgalley
Reviewed: Sapphired Dragon
Rating: *** 1/2

My Review:
Haunted was not at all what I expected to be nor did it quite go the way I expected when I first chose to read it for review. This is not a bad thing per se just different. The impression I got from reading the blurb was a premise similar to that of ghost house by Alexandra Adornetto and in the beginning it seems like it might be but that abruptly and completely changes.

There are some big twists and turns in this novel, one of which I worked out about a quarter of the way through the novel. This actually helped me in continuing on in the novel as prior to that, the story had felt a little confusing and while it all started to make a bit more sense, I still found it a little disjointed in parts making it hard to keep the thread at times.

At the end of the day, Ms carthage delivered a novel that was different and intriguing and while the ending was not quite as satisfying as I had hoped it did have its moment s and left me wondering, given this is book 1, where the series is going to go. I can't speculate too much without giving too much away but there are a few threads the books yields up that i suspect and hope the series will further explore

One thing I did like, that continued on through the novel, was the air of creepiness and just a little bit of that hair standing on end spookiness that makes you wish that maybe you hadn't read quite so late into the night.

Over all, whilst I wasn't completely blown away by this novel, I still found it an intriguing and different story, enough so that I almost certainly be picking up book 2.

I give this story 3 1/2 stars

Sapphired Dragon xx



About The Book:






Sixteen-year-old Phoebe Irving has traded life in San Francisco for her stepfather’s ancestral mansion in rural England. It’s supposed to be the new start her family needs. But from the moment she crosses the threshold into the ancient estate, Phoebe senses something ominous. Then again, she's a little sensitive lately—not surprising when her parents are oblivious to her, her old life is six thousand miles away, and the only guy around is completely gorgeous but giving her mixed messages.

But at least Miles doesn’t laugh at Phoebe’s growing fears. And she can trust him…maybe. The locals whisper about the manor’s infamous original owner, Madame Arnaud, and tell grim stories of missing children and vengeful spirits. Phoebe is determined to protect her loved ones—especially her little sister, Tabby. But even amidst the manor’s dark shadows, the deepest mysteries may involve Phoebe herself…


No comments:

Post a Comment