Sunday 3 June 2012

Armchair BEA Day One: Introductions First

20120602-200112.jpg


Welcome to the first day of Armchair BEA, an event designed for those of us who are unable to make BEA (Book Expo America) and the Book Bloggers Convention but still would like to share in the excitement.

As one always does on the first day, it's time for introductions so below are five questions to help get to know me, Nikki Sapphired Dragon, a little better:

1. Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?

My name is Nikki Sapphired Dragon, i live in Australia and my blogging site is called Realm of the Sapphired Dragon. Mostly it contains, reviews, memes, giveaways and other bits and pieces in the adult/YA genres of Urban Fantasy, Science Fantasy, Dystopian, Paranormal and Paranormal Romance. I am 35, a fitness administrator and instructor as well as an avid avid reader.  I have just had a little girl is now ten weeks old and the most beautiful baby in the world :-) I have been blogging now for just over a year.

As for why I got into blogging, well I have always been a reader from the time I was a child and I also have always liked to write but I found my writing extended more to journal or blogging type writing rather than fiction.  I attended a fitness convention in April 2011 where there was a panel on fitness and communication. It was essentially all about being a personal trainer /fitness professional and ways to promote your business using communication I.e. search engines, social media and of course blogging.

What I took away from it was that I really wanted to start my own blog...but about books.  I had a couple of friends who already had established book blogs so after picking their brains for a bit, Realm of the Sapphired Dragon was born.

2. What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012? 

Currently I am reading the first 4 books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J R Ward and I need to get them all read by tomorrow as that is when the fourth book Lover Revealed is due back to the library :-)

I am really enjoying this series.  It's a lot of fun and I am looking forward to reading the next 6 in the series. However, next in my reading line up is Hourglass and Timepiece by Myra McEntire.

3. What is your favorite feature on your blog (i.e. author interviews, memes, something specific to your blog)?

Up until recently my favourite feature was In My Mailbox (hosted by The StorySiren) as I love showing off the books I have received each week. However, I have just also started an On My Wishlist feature (hosted by Cosy Books) where I get to showcase and talk about books that I WANT to read both already published or yet to be released.  What I love about it is often it is just as much a surprise to me that I want a book because I like title or the cover and have not even bothered to read the synopsis.

4. What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

The literary location I most want to visit is Wales and in particular, the isle of Mon along with the Kings Men Stones in Oxfordshire. My favourite book, The Ancient Future by Traci Harding is set mostly in Wales and the main character goes back in time while visiting the Kings Men stones. 

5. Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?

I don't think my reading tastes have changed so much as been clarified. I have always been quite an eclectic reader and depending on my mood reading anything and everything from thrillers to romance to high fantasy to non fiction.  In the last year or so that I have been blogging I feel I have really nailed down the genres that I particularly like reading and these are the genres I tend to read and review (and are listed in question 1). 

Well that is my introduction so hopefully now you all know me just a little bit better. Feel free to comment and let me know you have been by. Now I am off to meet a few more of you.  Wishing you all a great Armchair BEA 2012!!


*design credit for armchair picture at top of post and button in sidebar is Emily of Emily's Reading Room

13 comments:

  1. Wales would be a great reading trip. So many great stories have come from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series too! Sad I still haven't had the chance to continue the series. There's just too many books don't you think? XD I wonder what Wales looks like? I think I haven't read a book set in Wales.

    My Introduction post here

    -Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to say I LOVE the name of your blog!!! :)

    You know there are a TON of books I wanted to read simply because of their cover and not knowing what it was about. The cover always lures me in first. Chances are if I don't like the cover, I probably won't even look at the synopsis. I know I could potentially be missing out on some great reads because of that, but well. *lol*

    I used to live in England for two years, but never had to chance to go to Wales. It's definitely one of those places I would love to visit someday. :)

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I'm following back. :)

    Have a great ArmchairBEA week!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new baby! I'm impressed that you are able to find time for blogging as the mom of a newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on your new baby girl! I need to re-read Hourglass so I can read Timpiece. nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your new addition! Hopefully she'll be a reader too ;)

    Happy Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eclectic reading is the way to go. Hope you enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking about reading The Black Dagger Brotherhood series for a while. Glad to hear you are enjoying it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of my absolute favorites. I am not normally that much of a paranormal fan but I definitely made an exception for that series.

    Have a lovely Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! So nice to meet you. :D

    I'm happy to see some BDB in there, because I absolutely LOVED the first three books! And speaking of, I totally have to continue the series and that soon.

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats and awww about your baby. :) I imagine it's hard getting reading in done now, so props to you!!!

    I enjoyed Hourglass and hope to get around to Timepiece soon!

    Thanks for stopping by LIO!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your little bubba:)Oh and enjoy BDB, I love this series.

    Michelle:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, congrats on the baby!

    I love the title of your blog. Mailbox posts are fun to write and visit, even if I get the jealousies sometimes :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete